- About Us
Contact Name: Dr Philip Whitehead
Address: St Winefride’s Chapel, Pick Street, Shepshed, Leicestershire, LE12 9BB
Tel: 01509 506019
E-mail: stresscraft @ btinternet. com
Type of Organisation: Limited Company
Number of Employees: 7
- Instrumentation/Scientific Equipment
- Mechanical Engineering/Machine Tools
The Stresscraft company was formed in 1984 to provide a photoelastic stress analysis service. During the late ’80’s the nature of our work changed to the study of residual stress analysis using centre hole drilling and the improvement of this method. We now manufacture our own hole drilling equipment – miniature 3-axis PC-controlled drilling machines. Holes are drilled with an orbital (circular milling) action in order to minimise loads during the drilling process; residual stresses are calculated from relaxed strains using the Integral Method.
Co-Author of National Physical Laboratory Good Practice Guided GPG No 53; The Measurement of Residual Stresses by the Incremental Hole Drilling Technique, February 2006; Grant, Lord, and Whitehead.
Products & Services:
- Provision of residual stress determination services using target strain gauge/centre hole drilling.
- Development of centre hole drilling applications, gauges, drilling machines, surface displacement measurements.
- Range of residual stress depth capabilities: 8 microns to 8mm using standard commercial target gauges and custom made gauges.
- Customers include manufacturers of aircraft engines, aircraft and aerospace systems, formula one engines and cars, diesel engines and turbochargers, etc.
Membership of Professional Bodies & Trade Associations:
- British Society for Strain Measurement (BSSM)
- Society for Experimental Mechanics
Awards & Accreditations:
- Rolls-Royce Approved Supplier for residual stress measurement
- Airbus Approved Supplier for residual stress measurement
- BS EN ISO 9001: 2000 (ISOQAR Certificate No. 1776/98)